- Review and comment for the CAPCOG Executive Committee on applications requesting state or federal funds to serve the elderly in the region
- Advise CAPCOG’s member cities, counties, and special districts, directly or through the CAPCOG Executive Committee, on matters within their jurisdiction to increase awareness of aging issues and how best to address them
- Assist the aging program staff in encouraging aging oriented agencies to coordinate aging activities, to initiate programs serving the needs of the elderly, and to pool resources directed toward those programs
- Act as an advocate, particularly in members’ respective appointed county, in recognizing the needs and promoting the interest and rights of the elderly
- Promote public awareness of aging issues as well as program plans and objectives through frequent publicity, presentations to civic organizations and other interested groups, and public hearings using information gathered from participation on the council
- Be sensitive to the needs of the elderly and suggest priorities to be followed in meeting those needs, especially for the county the Council member represents
- Meet, when possible, for educational purposes with groups, agencies and individuals involved in providing services for the elderly
- Assist the aging program staff in evaluating programs funded under the Older American’s Act of 1965, as amended
- Provide input to the aging program staff regarding needs and long term local strategies that could be used in the development of the area plan
Membership and Bylaws
The council’s 19-member body includes older adults, representatives of health care organizations, elected officials and others across private, public and community sectors. Council members elect a chair, vice chair and secretary.
The AAC convenes quarterly on the first Monday of February, May, August and November. Meetings are open to the public. Check the events section below for upcoming meeting details, such as time, date and location.
Contact Janine O’Roy for past council agendas and minutes.