The SWAC primarily assists CAPCOG in coordinating and guiding implementation of the CAPCOG Regional Solid Waste Management Plan, as submitted to the Texas Water Commission for adoption on May 26, 1992, and updated by CAPCOG Staff and submitted to the TCEQ on November 26, 1996. The committee also promotes, fosters, coordinates, and guides implementation of the CAPCOG Regional Solid Waste Management Plan, and planning efforts as they relate to solid waste management in State Planning Region 12. Other SWAC tasks include:
- To serve as a regional clearinghouse to provide input, review, comment, and explanatory functions to the CAPCOG Executive Committee during the development and implementation of regional and local plans.
- To assist CAPCOG staff in evaluating goals, objectives and plan recommendations, defining problems and potentials in the development and annual review of the regional solid waste management plan.
- To hold necessary meetings for conducting solid waste management business; monitor implementation of the Regional Solid Waste Management Plan to determine progress in accomplishing specific goals and objectives.
- As part of the current and future Solid Waste Grants Program, score and prioritize project proposals requesting grant funding from CAPCOG, in order to pass these recommendations on to the CAPCOG Executive Committee for final approval, and the TCEQ for authorization of funds.
- To perform other tasks as directed by the CAPCOG Executive Committee.
Membership and Bylaws
SWAC’s 24-member body comprises city and county representation along with participants from the private sector, education interests and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. The committee elects a chair and vice chair each year.
SWAC meets at least quarterly, generally convening the second Thursday of each month as needed. Its meetings are open to the public. Check the events section below for upcoming meeting details, such as time, date and location.
Contact Melinda Schweitzer for agendas and minutes for the committee.